Friends of Tawd Valley Committee Meeting Minutes – 18th July 2023
PRESENT: C. Cooper, D. Taylor, E. Brookes, M. Flaherty, P. Meadows, D.Gibson, R. Newby, C. Jones. Also present: T. Lake, I. Wright, J. Butler
MINUTES: Prior to the committee meeting CC welcomed Ian Wright and Jenni Butler to speak to members about the Treescapes Project that Lancashire County Council is undertaking to create new woodlands in Lancashire in both rural and local settings. Skelmersdale is one of the areas chosen. IW said that the new woodlands would not include the Tawd Valley as so much work has been done planting trees in the past few years. It will be a 4 year project and will depend upon LCC and WLBC giving land to the project- the 2 councils will not be expected to provide funding, that will come from the Forestry Commission and DEFRA. The TREESCAPES Project is hoping to have FoTV working with them as and when necessary and they can see from visiting different parts of the town that is great potential for more trees to be planted. Members signalled their interest in the project and AGREED to being involved with the project. CC thanked IW and JB for their input and stated that FoTV looked forward to working with the project.
1. Apologies – received from D.Brookes
2. Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising – Minutes AGREED as true account. Matters arising- date of the Skelmersdale Show now July 30th and committee had previously agreed that FoTV withdraw from this years show with view to taking part next year. Teddy Bears Picnic on July 8th was a great success and RN was thanked for organising. AGREED it become an annual event. RN informed cttee she has agreed with local Squirrels Group to run regular events with them in the valley park.
3. Chairs Update – Nothing to report
4. Treasurers Update – DT provided newly formatted financial update documents which were welcomed by the cttee. Update ACCEPTED
5. WTT/DCP Update- MF reported that some potential project work has come to light after he and Ranger Hannah had walked along the river at the back of the Library and surrounding areas. Two bridges in need of repair or replacement, dense vegetation needs cutting back and paving stones need replacing. Could be a Team Tawd job but also working with employee volunteers from Jaguar Land Rover. JLR could be available 13/14thAugust. EB to contact Ranger Hannah re getting this arranged. MF in his role as Social Media Officer suggested the setting up of a WhatsApp group for cttee members and that FoTV open a Threads Account in addition to our Twitter Account. AGREED
6. Green Fayre Arrangements – event the weekend of 22/23 July. AGREED members that will help with setting up and taking down of Gazebo and stalls. AGREED those members who would cover during the daytime so others could take lunch or have a wander through the Fayre. Raffle and Name the Teddy prizes sorted and refreshments for sale also organised. Vehicles to be loaded up on the Friday evening.
7. Rotary Club Batwalk – AGREED this will be on 16th of September (This has since changed) – MF to inform Rotary contact.
8. Tawd Valley Bio Blitz- 12/13thAugust and Riverfly Survey 26/27 August – MF dealing
9. Other Volunteer Groups – cttee informed that the Co op Bank and Edge Hill University have expressed interest in being involved with volunteer projects. EB has been in touch with both groups and will alert them to future projects. Short discussion about FoTV contacting other community groups such as mental health awareness, older peoples groups and youth/young peoples groups to get them involved with work of FoTV and make them aware of access to the Community Classroom for their group meetings. Also need to look at creating a “Little Friends of FoTV” Group.
10. Any other business- None
11. Date of next meeting- due to holiday season next cttee meeting will be on Tuesday 19th of September.
Copyright 2023 | Friends of Tawd Valley
Manage Cookie Consent
To provide the best experiences, we use technologies like cookies to store and/or access device information. Consenting to these technologies will allow us to process data such as browsing behavior or unique IDs on this site. Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions.
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.