Friends of Tawd Valley Committee Meeting Minutes – 21th November 2023

PRESENT: C. Cooper, R. Newby, D. Taylor, E. Brookes, D. Brookes, M. Flaherty, P. Meadows, C. Jones

Also present: Ranger H. Murphy


  • Apologies – D. Gibson
  • Minutes of previous meeting – AGREED
  • Matters arising – dealt with via agenda items
  • Chair’s update – CC informed committee nothing to report
  • Treasurer’s update – DT reported that £500 donation had been received from JLR and would be marked as restricted funding. DT also reported that Crowd Funding Paperwork has been accepted and that money raised will be for Half Mile Island Fishing Lake improvements. DT thanked for his update.
  • WTT/DCP update – MF reported that things are a bit quiet at this time of the year, however the following items are progressing… Sediment Project – working with EHU and Groundworks – matter will be discussed at next week’s Tawd Valley Strategy Group meeting. Trout in the Classroom- next year this will be Looking at Crucian Carp. Lathom HS will be involved to encourage older pupils to become engaged with the valley. Trout Trust Gold Accreditation- to meet the criteria will probably arrange a Mayfly Project next year and Dalton St Michaels PS will be part of this.
  • Fungal Foray was a great success with visitors from as far away as Scotland.
  • Ranger Hannah update – Apologies re Classroom Lease delay but hopes will be in place by the spring. Sefton Council installing fire alarms and extinguishers. Intruder alarms and emergency lighting also to be installed. Confirmed that when alarm/s go off the first point of contact should be the Ranger Office with the 4 FoTV named keyholders only contacted as a last resort. Water Meter related just to the Classroom to be installed. Waste digester- temporary repair made but installing company will make proper repair in near future. PAT Testing – Ranger Service will arrange for that to be done. First Aid Boxes need checking. Risk Assessment paperwork- RH to forward examples. Revetment Project- funded by Whitemoss- work begins 24/2/2024. As money has to be used by the end of March DT raised issue of getting invoices through quickly due to tight time line. RH agreed. Damselfly Wetland (Yellow Bridge/Irwell area)- £125k funding and River Ribble Trust will do the work. Yewdale- grass areas will be managed as wildflower meadow until Wetland is completed. Bridge repair/s will be funded by UK Shared Prosperity Fund. Miners Memorial- EB to contact Skelmersdale Heritage Society. Ranger Service recently taken delivery of materials to prevent contamination of fishing lake/s and advisory signage and rules of fishing. Anglers will be required to obtain Rod Licences from the Env. Agency. Tawd Valley Strategy Group – AGREED that MF and EB be FoTV representatives on that group. Water Safety Training to be arranged – CJ, CC and TW to take part. Ranger Hallam is latest member of the service – AGREED he be invited to next FoTV meeting. Ranger Hannah was thanked for her detailed update.
  • Rotary Club Santa’s Sleigh 7th December – PM “volunteered” to be Santa.  Much to others relief PM was THANKED for his generosity of spirit!!
  • Publicity Leaflets/Calendar/Badges/Stickers – EB to contact Art Dept at W Lancs College to get students involved
  • Kingfisher Club – DT reported that funding has been applied for.  Club will meet monthly with age group 2-12. 
  • Boxing Day Walk – route AGREED and EB to send out notice nearer the time
  • Christmas Coffee Morning – in Classroom Dec 2nd.  AGREED no Volunteering that day and open Classroom for approx. an hour for people to drop in
  • Date of next meeting – Tuesday 16th January 2024